“Go design cool stuff.” These words inspire us each week as we (researchers, strategists, human factors engineers, industrial designers, mechanical and electrical engineers and prototypers) spill out into our design studio to start the week. And the stuff IS cool. Today, you are designing a kid’s batting helmet. Tomorrow, it may be a heart valve replacement device.
YOU are extraordinary in a variety of areas that we would recognize including team leadership, creativity, communication and collaboration. And you excel in areas that surprise us. Do you consider yourself a product developer AND an electrical engineer? Can you bring your experience to help us solve our clients’ problems and help them navigate embedded system development from idea to reality?
Design Concepts, a “hidden heavyweight” in the design and innovation consultancy world, needs you here in Madison, WI. At Design Concepts, you will have an impactful and autonomous career. If you are up for the challenge and you can show us how adding your skills to the team will help our electrical engineering team get to the next level, send us an email. Come join us to design cool stuff in our brand-new space in downtown Madison.
As an Electrical Engineer, you know details matter. Here are those details:
- Providing insights into emerging technologies and uncovering, identifying and creating business and product opportunities for our clients during strategic conceptualization efforts
- Translating user needs into defined product metrics
- Developing innovative product concepts through a process of collaborative brainstorming and verifying feasibility with a combination of analytical tools and physical modeling
- Guiding design teams and our clients through the concept selection decision making processes to ensure that technical considerations factor into alternative narrowing and selection
- Representing electrical engineering considerations within multi-disciplinary development teams and providing situational leadership to help drive projects to technical and business success
- Interacting with our valued clients through meetings, presentations, design reviews and informal interactions - building trust and respect through a highly collaborative development process
- Effectively leading cross-disciplinary project teams and ensuring quality of deliverables while adhering to client’s budgets and schedules
- Supporting business development efforts by participating in key sales visits and assisting in the creation of winning project plans and proposals.
- Creating and fostering key relationships with strategic clients, becoming a trusted advisor for their product development initiatives.
- Having fun, doing cool work with good people and helping us support and grow our culture.
- BSEE or MSEE (preferred) with 7+ years proven track record in embedded system product development
- Experience in a consulting environment preferred with a proven customer-centric attitude and personality
- Experience in PCB development (schematic capture, layout)
- Proven track record in medical device development with a strong understanding of the intricacies of IEC 60601 preferred
- Experience in IoT development from both a hardware and software perspective preferred
- Experience in software/firmware development with one or more languages (C/C++ preferred)
- Experience with regulatory certification of products
- Experience with variety of high and low volume manufacturing processes and effectively transitioning designs into production
- Gravitas, humility and a keen sense of humor
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills with the ability to thoughtfully articulate and present technical ideas in formal and informal settings
- Highly motivated, self-starter, able to manage multiple priorities.