Design Concepts San Francisco is growing, and we need experienced Mechanical Engineers to join our team!
For more than 50 years, Design Concepts has delivered innovative product design solutions to our clients through strategy, research, design, engineering, and prototyping. Our portfolio includes award-winning work for companies recognized worldwide as leaders in a broad range of industries including medical device, consumer, and commercial products, transportation, and more. We have a thriving studio in San Francisco to serve our west coast clients and are growing organically. Our office and shop functions with a startup mentality that is ideal for someone who likes the security of an established company but the freedom to help contribute to and create something new. Our ME heritage and our hands-on culture make this place a great spot for ME’s looking to solve complex problems and create innovative solutions. Members of the Mechanical Engineering team at Design Concepts play an integral role in all stages of the product development process.
- Providing insights into emerging technologies and uncovering, identifying and creating business and product opportunities for our clients during conceptualization endeavors
- Translating user needs into defined product metrics
- Developing innovative product concepts through a process of collaborative brainstorming and verifying feasibility with a combination of analytical tools and physical modeling
- Guiding design teams and our clients through the concept selection decision making processes to ensure that technical considerations factor into alternative narrowing and selection
- Establishing mechanical architectures that provide for a robust design solution while balancing product aesthetics, tolerance requirements, design for manufacturability, product cost, capital investment, and development risk
- Applying technical expertise of engineering principles such as mechanics, kinematics, mechatronics, structural analysis, and thermodynamics
- Performing risk analysis in order to develop and prioritize product verification efforts
- Creating detailed engineering documentation and facilitating transfer to manufacturing activities
- Representing mechanical engineering considerations within multi-disciplinary development teams and providing situational leadership to help drive projects to technical and business success
- Interacting with our valued clients through meetings, presentations, design reviews and informal interactions - building trust and respect through a highly collaborative development process
- Having fun, doing cool work with good people and helping us support and grow our culture
- BSME with 1-2 years’ experience or MSME with relevant ME internship experience and a proven track record in product development
- Creative conceptualizer with ability to effectively envision and communicate concepts
- Portfolio demonstrates success in a multidisciplinary, team-based environment working with individuals representing skillsets outside of mechanical engineering including but not limited to design research, industrial design, human factors, electrical engineering, etc.
- Hands-on experience using physical model making and prototyping as a problem-solving tool as well as experience and sensitivities for collaborating and working with prototyping specialists
- Proficiency in CAD modeling, including complex assemblies and aesthetic surfacing
- Scholastic background in analysis for structural, thermal, and fluid flow
- Detail orientated with demonstrated knowledge of creating documentation including manufacturing drawings and/or tolerance analysis etc.
- Basic understanding of high and low volume manufacturing processes for effectively transitioning designs into production
- Customer-centric attitude and personality, experience in a consulting environment is a huge plus
- Gravitas, humility and a keen sense of humor
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills with the ability to thoughtfully articulate and present technical ideas in formal and informal settings.
- Highly motivated, self-starter, able to manage multiple priorities.
We realize that you are making a big decision when considering a new job. You must think about salary, the inherent satisfaction you will get from your work and whether you will enjoy your colleagues. We all spend a lot of time at work and realize that little stuff can make the difference between being happy and productive or grumpy and wanting out. So, we’ve done our best to build a culture, adapted from some of the world’s best companies, that represents our personal values and that is flexible to each studio’s unique proclivities. Here are a few things we think make Design Concepts a safe, fun, and joyful place to be:
- Ergonomic workspaces, collaborative work areas and access to natural light for those who want it, or dark and quiet areas for those who don’t.
- A professional development budget and autonomy to find opportunities (conferences, training, etc.) that interest you.
- Tuition reimbursement
- Unlimited snacks with a bias toward healthy stuff like shelled pistachios but still plenty of questionable choices like jelly beans
- Flexible vacation policy
- Access to the prototype machine shop tools and materials (laser cutter, mills, wood shop, etc.)
- Access to 3D printers for personal use (Stratasys FDM and FormLabs Form2 SLA)
- Office located in the design centers of vibrant cities with great walking access to coffee shops, breweries and restaurants. You probably already know what San Francisco and Boston are about, but if you haven’t been to Madison, you will be pleasantly surprised if not completely blown away.
- No dress code beyond “do not get arrested for indecent exposure”
- Dog friendly offices
- Flexible work hours and ability to work remotely
- Volunteering opportunities
- Partial cell phone and fitness reimbursement
- Open book financials and transparent leadership communication
- Grilling encouraged
- Weekly Team Lunch
- Free Coffee & Espresso
- Office DJ on permanent hiatus, you may need to fill in
Compensation is commensurate to experience.
Please send us your resume and a portfolio (or highlights from a couple past projects) to the email below and be ready to submit references when we call you back!